CLASSES, DEMONSTRATIONS, SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS, ETC:
- The Glass Rooster. The Glass Rooster is committed to teaching the latest in home food preservation, bringing a greater awareness to our urban food needs and connecting those committed to the same. Offering classes at Logan Square Kitchen, or in your kitchen (plan a canning party!), as well as products and resources.
- Green City Market Chef Demonstrations. Chefs from some of the finest restaurants in the city demonstrate how to prepare meals using locally produced, seasonal ingredients from the market farmers and producers.
- Green City Market Monthly Tasting Series: Savor the Seasons. Sampling market products at the height of their season. Tips, techniques for storing, freezing, and cooking; and take-home educational materials.
- Green City Market Locavore Challenge. For 2 weeks in September, market-goers can sign-up to take the Locavore Challenge and pledge to eat only local food, to the best of their ability, during those two weeks. During the Challenge, Green City Market offers educational opportunities, social events and culinary inspirations, as well as a “Locavore Kit” to all participants, which includes a schedule of events, locavore resources, and recipe ideas.
- No Knead Bread. I had to slip this recipe in somewhere! It’s an awesome recipe for bread – especially if you’ve never made a loaf before. No bread machine needed. Crazy easy and super addictive.
RESOURCES – CANNING, FREEZING AND PRESERVING:
- Putting Food By, by Janet Greene, Ruth Hertzberg, and Beatrice Vaughan. Guide to canning, freezing and preserving.
- Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, by Judi Kingry
- Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving, Altristra Consumer Products
- The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving, by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard.
- The Everything Canning and Preserving Book, by Patricia Telesco and Jeanne P. Maack
- Stocking Up, by Carol Hupping
- Preserve It, by DK Publishing
- Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning, by the gardeners and farmers of Centre Terre Vivante.
- USDA Canning Links
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Iowa Extension – Canning Tomatoes
- Oregon State University Extension – Food Preservation
- Purdue University – Complete Guide to Home Canning
- Onearth Magazine
- Find a “Pick Your Own” place by you
MAKE YOUR OWN CHEESE, YES REALLY!:
- New England Cheesemaking Supply Company. Visit the site of Ricki-the cheese queen! Instructions, products and information on do-it-yourself cheesemaking.
*See our recommended cookbooks, under ‘Book’s in right sidebar*