Grocers, Co-ops, Buying Clubs
Grocers included on this list offer a range of ‘fair’ to ‘significant’ amount of products falling under the ‘organic’ category. Some specialty grocers/co-ops also offer locally grown produce and locally raised meat.
- Green Grocer, 1402 W Grand Ave, Chicago, 312-624-9508. Feature organic and locally produced foods, as well as some unique specialty items.
- New Leaf Natural Grocery, 1261 W. Loyola, Chicago, IL. Specializing in entirely organic produce boxes featuring locally grown produce, when it’s in season. Also bulk goods, locally raised meat, vegetarian items, and local honey.
- True Nature Foods, 6034 N. Broadway, Chicago, 773-465-6400. Organic market since 1982.
- Chicago French Market, 131 N. Clinton, Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 7:30 pm; Saturday 8:30 am – 6 pm; Sunday Closed. * Individual vendor opening times vary, but all are open by 10 am. Year-round, indoor, European inspired market.
- Southport Grocery and Cafe, 3552 N. Southport, Chicago. Cafe, Grocery and Bakery.
- Chicago Food Co-op. Food buying club made up of individuals who collectively purchase groceries directly from distributors, wholesale or discounted.
- Dill Pickle, 3039 W. Fullerton, Chicago, IL. Monday – Saturday, 9am-9pm, Sunday 10am-9pm. Community owned. A Full-service grocery store for fresh, local, and organic food.
LARGE CHAIN GROCERS:
- Mariano’s (Western at Roscoe in Chicago)
- Trader Joe’s
- Treasure Island
- Whole Foods
- Honored Prairie, Fellowship of Family Farms. Various pickup locations throughout Chicagoland, Northern Indiana, Southern Michigan, Northwestern Ohio.
- Moograss Farms, Wheaton, IL. Private online farm club. Order online, and pick up at 2 locations: 1620 Stoddard Ave, Wheaton, IL and 6857 W. Belmont Chicago, IL (Miracle Herb).
*If you know of grocers we’ve missed, please contact us to have them added to the list*